Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Happy Veteran's Day
to all those who have and are currently serving in the United States military!
Last year I blogged about my 2 favorite veteran's, my dad and my brother Scott. They both served in the U.S. Army.
Tonight, Darrell and I took the kids out for pizza. We were having a nice time visiting and the conversation went to the Veteran's Day assembly at the school yesterday. I said that my favorite part is when the band plays the medley of the Armed Forces and the veteran's stand when their branches song plays. At that point we decided we would go to the Veteran's Day Program at the church. We hadn't planned on going but I'm so glad we did. It was a very touching program. They had 2 singers performing songs like:
The National Anthem (of course)
America the Beautiful
God Bless America
The Battle Hymn of the Republic
God Bless the USA
They had beautiful voices! When the young man sang God Bless the USA it brought back a distinct memory for me: 1991~I was living in Connecticut and my brother was stationed in Iraq. I had gone with some friends to West Point Military Academy to a football game. During half time the cadet choir sang God Bless the USA and I cried as I thought of my brother in Iraq.
Again, tonight the songs were played for each of the branches of the military. The Veteran's each went forward to receive a gift of thanks for their service.
I am thankful for the freedom I enjoy as a citizen of this great nation and I'm thankful for those who have served and fought to ensure that our freedom continues!
GOD BLESS AMERICA!

4 comments:

Shelly's Space said...

As usual, you have shown your tender heart:) Thanks for sharing:)

Thompson Tales said...

UUUMMMM, RENE, when are you going to post a new post???? I love reading about your family and the goings on, is that a phrase? Hope you had a wonderful holiday season!!

Shelly's Space said...

SERIOUSLY Rene.....you need a NEW post!!!

RR said...

Hi Rene..
I don't know if you still blog. But I was thinking about you and wanted to say hello!